It has gone awfully quite around here lately…. I have been busy with other things! To be more specific, I came across a couple of posts on two of my favorite blogs, PeterLee’s Work From Home Business Blog and Paul’s Money Making Schemes Blog which sort of ripped the blinds of my eyes regarding something I have pretty much known all along. And that is – building niche websites is the way to go!
See, the first big thing I learned when starting out with making money on the Internet was how to build my own first niche website. I had it up and running about half a year after I started looking into earning money from home. It’s my site about Beach Theme Home Decor. It’s pretty much a static site, I have 9 pages up (plus a site map and a resources page), and each of the pages has been optimized for one keyword phrase. I was working on this site for a couple of months, did link exchanges with other sites, and submitted it to directories using Directory Maximizer. I wrote a few Squidoo lenses on different beach themes, a few articles and submitted them to Ezine articles, and that’s about it.
As I built the site on a WordPress platform, I created “pages” instead of posts, and I have a little blog running in the background where I post whenever there is anything interesting I have to say about the beach or related themes. Which I do about once a month.
Because I did my initial keyword research right and I optimized each page separately for one keyword, this site is on page #1 or 2 of Google for a few of my keywords. About 90% of all the traffic I get is from the Search Engines. That’s pretty cool! And with this traffic my website is making me between $100 and $250/month in revenue ($100 is on really bad months – not very often). That’s when you combine Google Adsense, Amazon and ebay affiliate earnings.
So to me, this is working. And I have seen this beforehand, I just got sidetracked into trying other things, to make more money sooner. Guess what, it hasn’t happened! So when I read the posts on PeterLee’s and Paul’s blogs about building niche sites, I came back full circle and went “YES – that’s exactly what I should concentrate on!!!! Because I can SEE that it works!”.
What I find extremely attractive about building niche sites is this:
- no need to constantly update or post new things – it’s not a blog! It’s enough to change something little once in a while, that’s it.
- you do the work once, and then can have recurring income for years to come. True, each site might not bring in much by itself, but over time the site building process can be repeated in your own time, and that means your income will slowly build up over time.
- you don’t have to build monster sites, or maintain a newsletter or email list – you just have your site up and let it do the work.
See, I hate to have to constantly think about “What am I going to write next” – it stresses me out (I hope you will appreciate my honesty here). I do not like writing. It might sound ok once it’s on paper, but it sure as hell costs me a lot of thoughts, time and sweat to get it on paper. It takes me a LOOOOOOOG time, and that’s something I really don’t have enough of. Same with list building. Fair enough, I believe that all the big gurus are making their big bucks by building huge lists and by marketing to them via email. That’s great. Just – I can’t (don’t want to) do it. It’s even more stress for me – something else to think about and write!!!! 😮
So I have decided to get back to what I can do and like doing, and that’s building niche websites, one at a time, and get them up and running properly, and start making some more money! And I am going to use niches with REAL things to buy, just like my beach decor site.
So here is how I have equipped myself now and what I have done so far to get the job done as professionally as possible, with the least amount of time:
I got myself MicroNicheFinder, a great keyword research tool. It has been recommended via several sources, and I actually had it sitting on my computer for about a year, unused (!), but I have decided to put it to good use now. Micro Niche Finder really takes a lot of time out of keyword research and comes with some great features. It will also tell you whether you should go for a keyword phrase or whether it will be fruitless and you might be wasting your precious time because of the competition! That’s extremely valuable.
- I got myself XSitePro 2. This is a fantastic web design software even somebody like me can use to create great looking professional websites in a very short time (I always take a bit longer, but that’s because I am stuck with the content, not the design 😉 ) Sure, you could do the same with a WordPress blog – like I have done before-, but I want to do this on a professional level now, and XSitePro 2 still gives you more options than a WordPress blog. I have also read several times that Google really likes sites that have been created by the software, which is always a plus!
- I have registered a new domain name (I’m not telling!) and have started building my next site. At the moment I am stuck at – writing content (who’d have guessed 😉 ) ! BTW, if you want to register a new domain, check out these Domain Coupon Codes – I registered my new domain for 2 years which would have cost me $21 but with the domain coupon codes it only cost me $14, and I think that’s cool!
So, this is what I am up to right now, and why it has been a bit quiet around here. As I mentioned before, some of my favorite fellow successful bloggers have started doing the same, and they know what they are doing. And I have seen the success you can have with niche sites first hand (mind you, mine is a very little fish!), so for me that’s the way to go from now on.
You should think about it – seriously. It works. Might not be bringing in millions for a while, but you can build yourself a nice and steady income in a fair amount of time.
Category: Niche Websites
About the Author (Author Profile)
Sites That Link to this Post
- Outsourcing – It Can Take A Load Off Your Back – Petra-Weiss.com | November 1, 2009
- Building Niche Websites – Progress Report – Petra-Weiss.com | December 31, 2009
- Bump Up Your Niche Site With The Right Backlinks – Petra-Weiss.com | April 29, 2011
- Micro Niche Finder: Get Fair Reviews, Coupons and Special Offers! | December 24, 2011